Friday, April 17, 2009

Pearls of an Injured Life

A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear [that results] from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl. Stephan Hoeller

I sometimes reflect on my own injured life. I think about the ways I've been injured and the ways I've injured others. Scenarios run in my head of how I could have done better or how they could have done better, but today I understand that no matter how I've been hurt or done the hurting, I and "they" were doing the best we could. I've also come to understand that I've gained many pearls from my injuries. I have a family and friends that are amazing, loving people.

One of the gifts of aging for me is the ability to embrace my life, with all its joys, sadness, disappointments, thrills, unfulfilled dreams, etc. The pain of living is very real, but it does not penetrate my soul the way it did when I was younger. I can see the lightness outside the darkness of both spiritual and physical pain. I've also been blessed to know that even with all my many faults, contained inside me, and all human beings is the heart of love. I can tap better into that universal heart than when I was younger, or perhaps the nature of that heart changes over time.

I've been watching and reading about Susan Boyle and her injured life. She has a learning disability, is unpretty, and seems to be generally ignored, and sometimes harassed. The highest compliment given to this 48 yo woman is that she's considered a "sweet girl." She loved and cared for her mother and sang in church and did karaoke. I like to imagine the people who looked at her as she went along, and shook their heads, some in sadness and others in superiority. The result, several days ago "frumpy," "old," "unloved" Susan Boyle went on a stage, opened her mouth and beautiful pearls spilled into the ears and hearts of the world.

I thank Allah for my pearls. I hope that you are enjoying your pearls.

No comments:

Post a Comment