Thursday, October 21, 2010

Birthday

I had a birthday, an amazing birthday this past July and I am still filled with the beauty, love and reality of it. Dearest friends came together and ensured that my birthday was spectacular. I had not slept with, had children with, or married any of them. Aging for me is so wonderfully strange. Seeing love and support and adventures coming from people and places where I have planted no long ago seeds that I'm now reaping and looking at the garden I tended, not perfectly, but with good effort continue to produce indifferent crops. I am not angry (most of the time), but fascinated. I am fascinated how I am slowly moving from what I thought to what I experience. Here is a poem that caught me on my journey and insisted I write it.

Independence Day 7/4/10

It happened today
Independence
Like birth is irrevocable
Even if I wished to return
To past servitude
I am unable to
I have discovered my power
And so have you
Though the aftermath of our struggle
Played the same dueling perceptions
It was only form
Not substance
And we both recognize that
We reside in different kingdoms
Only our geography remains the same
For the moment
Just for the moment

ayesha ali

No comments:

Post a Comment