Friday, December 25, 2009

Celebration! Kwanzaa


The Islamic culture that has defined my life until recently, was devoid of celebration on a personal level. A few hours at the two Eids, recognized religious festivals in Islam, is all my family embraced. I no longer hold with this "puritanical" notion that fun is somehow beneath Muslim sensibility.

For the first time, I have presents (ziwadi) in my home. I have brought Kwanzaa into my home! My friends, particularly Bettie, have been instrumental in reminding me of the joy of decorating and celebrating. I will even be hosting a Kwanzaa Karamu, which is a feast, on the 1st of January. I am embracing my home!

The embrace of joy that has allowed me to bring this into my home has already touched my son and will Inshallah, touch my husband. At any rate, celebration and remembrance is, I believe, a part of the human journey.

Happy Kwanzaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment